Thursday, September 15, 2011

For the Love of Solids - Given

When the For the Love of Solids swap was announced two months ago, I was immediately intrigued. I had only ever done one solid project before, and the stakes in this swap seemed pretty high. I was doubtful whether I would even be accepted - it all seemed quite daunting, yet challenging. So when I got the notice that I was 'in', I thought to myself, "Oh dear. What have I done?"

I kept close tabs on the flickr group to try and discern my partner's likes and dislikes. And after looking at the amazing stuff on her website, I knew I needed to step it up a notch. Yikes. The hardest part, of course, was coming up with a plan. After seeing her comment that she liked circles, I decided that would be a good thing to incorporate, and not the norm. I finally settled on these two blocks as inspiration:

Could I find a pattern for my idea? Of course not. So I set to drafting one. Other than taking one pattern design class in college, this was so not my strong area. But I tweaked and struggled until I had this:

What a mess! But I finally had a tentative plan, with 2 1/2 weeks to go to deadline! I did tweak one more time to increase the size of the arc, but then it all started coming together. Until finally, I came up with this:


For my small project, I decided to do a zip pouch, mostly because I'd been wanting to learn how, and that way, I could accomplish two goals at once. Multi-tasking is my forte! I must say, I looove how it turned out, though not without my trusty seam-ripper close at hand.


So! There you go - my first For the Love of Solids swap projects! Unbelievably, they got from Seattle to Rhode Island in two days! If you'd like to see what my partner, Tina, thought about the swap, check out her blog, Seaside Stitches.

Linking up with Celebrate Color . . .

22 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you drafted your own paper pieced pattern. That's awesome and it looks fantastic! Your swap partner is one lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you gotta make the pattern for us!! I ADORE this!!! Just amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these projects and it is so nice to read the back story. Good for you for using this swap to learn new skills and do new things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Leanne, I love hearing the story about how the projects came to be. They both look fabulous and I am super-impressed with the circle piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt is brilliant! I would love it if you'd make a pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I love your pattern, and ironically I just made the taffy go round block for one of my bees! What a great entry for the Celebrate Color project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb! These are great gifts! Your patterned quilt is simply amazing. The circles within the pinwheels are very cool. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omigosh. so cool. so awesome. great job!! headed over from canoe ridge, but i think i'm already a follower... if not i will be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was one of my fave projects from the swap, I adore the block you drafted. You should totally write a tute for it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just GREAT. I bet she was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your circle pattern! The color choices are so great and there's such flow and movement when looking at it. I love the little pinwheel block on the back too, it adds a perfect extra touch.

    How do you find out about the swaps?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome....love your block and finished quilt : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another one who loves the quilt pattern. I also especially like the different shades in the sashings. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I am so glad you enjoyed the FTLOS swap! :) The quilt is wonderful--but I LOVE your zippy. That simple design is fabulous! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fantastic Debbie and love the wavy quilting .

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a story and accomplishment! I'm impressed. You made solids - not my favorite fabric - look fabulous.

    Stopping in from Fabric Tuesday. My link is http://carolburris.com/quilting/september-dogwood-quilt-update/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pattern looks amazing. You did a wonderful job. I am sure your partner will be very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is totally awesome - your partner is so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is amazing! Love your curves (I'm always looking for appropriate times to say that without being fresh) and so impressed you designed this yourself. Thanks for sharing the process!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I can't believe you just made your own pattern. And everybody loves it! But I also love your little pouch. So cute and the color if it all is great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on being featured on Modern Day Quilts!!! I love this quilt, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete