Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Paper Boat Sets Sail

Several months ago, I won the pattern and fabric to make a Paper Boat Mini from teaginny designs. The perfect occasion to stitch this up was for the baby {boy} shower I am attending this afternoon. Here's the original mini:
paper boat mini quilt, pattern cover
And my version:
(measures 14 x 18.5")
The sweet little text fabric for the boat is from blend fabric's Crabtastic. The "water" fabric - Salt Air by Cosmo Cricket - made it so easy to free-motion "waves". The "sky" was a tad more of an adventure for me, but I'm happy enough with it. I used a lovely variegated thread - Aurifil 50 #4670/Silver Fox - for the water, and luckily had the perfect shade - Madeira light blue #9320 - for the sky. I thought matched binding would be a perfect finish.

Thanks again to Alex for sharing her project with me. You can find the pattern in her shop. Meanwhile, I'm off to join the celebration!

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday and Little Quilt Monday.

30 comments:

  1. SO CUTE!! Your quilting is great, and the matched binding is perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable!! Such a cute baby boy gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is darling! I'm off to check out her shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really cute! I like your matched binding. What is a baby shower? I don't know, if we have this in germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the binding! What a cute little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous, Debbie. This is such a beautiful baby quilt. Love all the fun quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats just perfectly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is so sweet Debbie, I love it a lot. Perfect fabric choices + quilting. Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet, Deb! Love those clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your version is lovely, what a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! And your FMQ is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely, what a great baby gift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilt! I especially love your free motion "sky" and the "waves"! What a lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That mini is so gorgeous!! I love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! So simple and made special by your quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so neat and cool!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is adorable! I want a big version for our beach house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is super-cute! I agree with FeelinCrafty - a larger lap-quilt-size one would be perfect for sitting on the porch on a cool morning with a cup of tea...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been saving this in my google reader till I had time to comment-- I am so in love with this precious quilt!!! It is just right--from idea to fabrics to quilting--you hit the nail on the head on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!Awesome design!! I'm a sailor and I'd like to share my experience on sailing. Be sure to get rid of all extra weight. Crew can be moved to the windward side to keep the boat level. Junk in the boat is hard to move, and it will just slow the boat down. Light weight is very important downwind. Going upwind, added weight can sometimes be helpful. Waves and chop tend to slow up a light boat, while a heavier boat can plunge right on through. Keep rudder motion to a minimum. Steering creates lift from side to side. Lift is always accompanied by drag. Keep the rudder angle steady. thanks!
    ....................
    Learn To Sail here

    ReplyDelete