Tuesday, January 13, 2015

About those Scraps

So what qualifies as a scrap in your little sewing world? Usually any piece of fabric less than a fat-eighth or so goes right into my scrap basket under my cutting table. No sorting for me. But occasionally I find a piece of fabric in my stash that really qualifies as a scrap but for some reason got special treatment. And I found just such a perfect piece when I needed a last-minute gift bag for my mom on Saturday. What you see below is pretty much all I had of that unknown fabric. I loved that I could get a sweet and unique front and back from what little I had.

Another use of scraps this week was a mixed-white binding for a baby quilt I'm making. Really subtle details here, but among other things, I was pleased to find a scrap with stars to include (the mama-to-be's favorite), and of course I was able to use up some scraps - several white on white prints plus 1 solid.

And I was super pleased that I was able to dig into my scrap basket for all the colored bits for FAITH Circle's 9-patch and snowball blocks this month.

Lastly, I've determined that making "Inside Addition" blocks will be my 1st scrappy quilt project for the year. Not sure how long/how big I'll go, but I've got a start. I really wanted to use this as a leader-ender project, but I've discovered you really need to have blocks cut out and ready to go to make that happen. So I spent some time cutting through scraps the other night, but you know how slow that can be. But anyway, here's where I am today. (Not too keen on that upper-left block - maybe it'll fit in eventually, we'll see.)
By the way, if you're inclined to make some Inside Addition blocks too, here's the simple "pattern" by Jessica/a little gray {alittlegressica on Instagram}, and we're tagging blocks #insideadditionquiltalong.
used by permission

So I'm feeling pretty good about how I've been using my scraps. Just can't use them fast enough! grin

Linking up with Scraptastic Tuesday at she can quilt and mrs sew & sow.

18 comments:

  1. You have been busy Debbie! Love the Inside Addition blocks and very generous of you to offer the measurements! You are really getting lots of mileage from your scraps. I dare say, according to your definition, that most of my stash is scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore anything scrappy and scrappy projects hold wonderful memories of people, fabric lines and quilts made from those lines. Lovely makes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful projects, Debbie! And Fabrics! For me scraps are little pieces. I save even really tiny pieces. I can't find quilting Fabrics from here etc. so I know that even tiniest pieces may be needed one day - perhaps just that little orange scrap' is what I need to make a sun. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beautiful scraps and projects with them! My scraps are not this lovely but I really hope to make a dent in my scrap collection this year! I was considering a scrappy economy block quilt but now I am thinking these Addition blocks might be a little faster. WI'll have to experiment with both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love scrappy quilts--you are making great progress--love your drawing you are so much more organized than I will ever be

    ReplyDelete
  6. My problem with leaders/enders is that once I've got it cut out, I want to sew it all together! My pile only lasted a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep all my leftover binding bits in a bag and dig through it when I need a binding for a potholder or other small thing, and sometimes I've even been able to bind a small quilt from it. Love those addition blocks-- its similiar to Grecian Cross, but with a smaller cross.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it. those addition blocks are a great use of scraps. I spent several hours last weekend cutting my scraps into usable squares, 5" & 2.5" and sorting them by color way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a total star! I think I need to make some scrappy binding and those cute blocks are a great temptation. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blocks! I see what you mean about the upper left. I need to make some scrappy binding! I've been trying to make panels using my scraps and was able to conjure up a full-size ironing board cover! I'm thinking of making some fabric baskets next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lot of super lovely scrappy goodness. That quilt will look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of goodness coming together in your studio!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your little addition blocks. I love the idea of using it for leader/enders. Great scrap projects this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great use of your scraps. Love the addition blocks. Very sweet.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute blocks! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all these scrappy bits. I too have to cut some scraps to be proper leaders and enders, so they are ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scraps for me are bigger than 2" squares, but too small to still fold and roll and fit on the shelf with my FQs, so I guess smaller than about 6" square, but I never seem to have regular shaped bits left over. I think I need to stop being so parsimonious with my cutting!

    ReplyDelete