Thursday, July 16, 2015

Handmade

There's not much to show for myself this week in the way of new finishes. The days have been full, and I've got a variety of things in mid-stream. But I do have a single little make to show off. One that I actually made about a week ago for my coworker's birthday. 



It's a Lola Pouch, made with the pattern by Svetlana/s.o.t.a.k handmade. I needed something pretty quick, and having made one Lola in the past, I thought it would be manageable, plus I knew how sweet it would be made up from my Cotton + Steel stash. Gotta say, I love that recessed zipper!

Though I was definitely pleased how the pouch turned out, what I was really looking forward to was the reaction of my coworker when I presented it to her. Our relationship is somewhat new, and I had never made her anything before. She did not disappoint, and as she opened the package she exclaimed, "You made this, didn't you?"

It never ceases to please me to hear those words. And every time, I am again thankful that somewhere along the line, I was given the opportunity to learn to sew, and I took to it like a fish to water. It's an amazing thing, really, what fulfillment I get from it, the sort of calm it gives me. It's a gift of the unexplainable sort isn't it? But then again, I know I don't have to explain that to you.

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

12 comments:

  1. No explanation required at all Debbie! The gift of sewing and hand made is to be treasured! I hope your friend treasures the Lola pouch! It is my favourite of all too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right, no explaining needed! and you know I love Lola (as proven by the dozen or more I have made!) so glad your coworker loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pouch. I'm sure she loved it too. Thanks for the link. I love the look of the recessed zipper. I have now downloaded the pattern and hope to get one made for me sometime today, or at least this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so get what you are saying. I haven't had the chance to sew something to gift lately, but the last thing I did was a weekend bag that I was very careful about my fabric choices and what I put where...I did not want to gift it after it was done, because I loved how it turned out so much! But I gave it to my niece and she just kept saying over and over, "You made this; for me?" I loved that reaction from her. and the fact that I got so many requests for a similar bag, after that from people she had showed it off to, just put the icing on that cake. I love that people love what I make and give to them, it is a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! I have a college friend who is amazed that I give away things that took hours to make (quilts for wedding gifts for close friends/family. She doesn't realize how much I've saved on therapy sessions! Fabric and the hum of a sewing machine are very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you, sewing sister! That pouch is fabulous -- such great fabric choices, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean about appreciating one's reaction. I have one dear, dear friend whom I love to make things for. She is such a sweetheart and does so much for so many people. When she opens a gift I've made for her she always tears up. It blesses me so much to bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just made one for my granddaughter with her college colors and she loved it. Mine did not turn out as smooth as yours, what kind of batting, interfacing did you use in yours? Thanks for your help, Her sister will want one when she sees it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn - I hope you look back here, as I didn't see an email for you . . .
      I opted to use Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex in place of the suggested fusible fleece on the exterior pieces. (It's also used on the lining.) I think this combo makes for a sturdy yet flexible finish. It's just what I usually like in a pouch. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your reply! I had used Shape-Flex on the exterior and fusible fleece on the lining. I will try this next time. I also made one using the foam interfacing. It made a nice firm bag but the binding on was hard to put on because of the thickness of the foam. I also had to make the binding wider.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, the shape-flex + fleece sounds like it would make a pretty sturdy bag. And I've also had that binding issue before when I've used thicker stabilizer than called for. Good luck on your next go at it!

      Delete